Athens: Meteora Small-Group Day Trip & Visit to Thermopylae
Enjoy a full-day trip to Meteora with a small group, visit majestic monasteries and explore the scenic Kalabaka town. Stop at the historic Thermopylae of Leonidas to see the battlefield and the museum.
- Visit Meteora, the UNESCO-listed extraordinary geological formation
- Visit two of the six remaining monasteries, the Great Meteoron or the Holy Monastery of Varlaam
- Explore Kalambaka, eat traditional food and visit the Museum of Natural History and Mushrooms
- See the Thermopylae battlefield, the statues of King Leonidas and the Archaeological Museum
- Enjoy a comfortable trip in a modern minibus and in a small group of max 7 people
DescriptionAdmire the authentic mainland of Greece, first visiting the historic Thermopylae, the original location of the famous battle between ancient Greeks and Persians in 480 B.C. See the battlefield, the statue of King Leonidas and visit the museum. The journey continues with beautiful views of the mountains and fields until you reach Meteora. Visit two of the six remaining Byzantine monasteries, built back in the 14th and 16th centuries. Take photos and videos of the marvellous landscape while your guide shares the local history. Afterward, your driver will take you to Kalambaka, a scenic town below the rocks with many options for a delicious traditional Greek lunch. Visit the oldest church in the area, where you see a Greek inscription on the wall which testifies to the existence of an ancient Greek temple at the same location. During your free time in Kalambaka you may also visit the Natural History Museum.
IncludesVisit to Thermopylae Visit to 2 of the 6 Meteora monasteries Photo stops at the UNESCO Meteora rocks Free time in Kalambaka Pickup and drop-off from/to downtown Athens Air-conditioned Mercedes Minivan WiFi in the minivan English-speaking driver Bottled water Taxes and toll fees Admission ticket to the monasteries and museums (2€) Guided tour Lunch Personal expenses
- The road trip has a duration of almost 4 hours each way but still is faster than taking the train and you'll get to visit the famous Thermopylae too
- This activity is not suitable for infants or late-pregnant women because of the long trip
- The driver is a local host and will give you details and orientation but is not allowed to escort you inside the museum and the monasteries
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability