My Guide Website?
Athens Private Food Tour
Explore Athens through its food culture and visit the bustling Central Market to sample typical produce, such as olives, feta cheese, Greek desserts and ouzo. Experience the modern Athenian way of life as you pass historic monuments.
- Visit Athens Central Market and experience the city through its food
- Listen and get involved in the banter of the salesmen
- Taste exquisite local produce in its freshest form
- Learn about the food culture of Greece
- Sample feta cheese, salty olives and sweet local honey
DescriptionExperience the best travel stories for yourself! Join a local expert and uncover hidden gems on this Lonely Planet Experience. Sample one of the world’s best cuisines on a 2.5-hour food tour of Athens. Departing from City Hall on Kotzia Square, admire the 18th century Neo-Classical architecture, including the headquarters of the National Bank of Greece, before walking to Central Market. Arrive at an atmosphere abuzz with local merchants, who come to display their fresh food and local produce. An expert guide will lead you to places where few tourists ever venture, exploring a vast range of Greek specialties, from simple koulouri (a round sesame bread), to salty feta cheese, olives, and other delicacies. Stop for a hot Greek coffee in winter, or a cold frappé on warmer days. Drop by a Greek deli and sample delicious fare, such as local honey, while getting an explanation about what’s in season and and its uses in Greek cooking. After your tasty tour, stroll to Monastiraki Square, where you will be ideally placed to spend the rest of the day visiting the ancient ruins of the Acropolis, and to explore the lively streets of the Plaka neighborhood.
IncludesTastings of Greek sweets, koulouri, olive oil, olives, cheeses, rusks, Greek alcohol (wine, ouzo), spices, herbs, and traditional meze Visits to markets, Kotzia Square, Avyssinias Square, Monastiraki Square, Athena's Road, churches, and a traditional deli
- This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed. Please select ‘child’ when booking
- Children under the age of 6 are permitted to join this tour free of charge. Please inform the supplier at the time of booking if you will be bringing a child under the age of 6