My Guide Website?
Athens: Private Full-Day City Tour with Popular Museums
Take a voyage through antiquity to the modern years, exploring the most popular sites the city of Athens has to offer. Begin with prominent landmarks of the city, before visiting some of the popular museums after lunch.
- Visit Greece’s most glorious ancient site: the Acropolis of Athens
- Admire the marble masterpieces of Parthenon, exhibited at the Acropolis museum
- Walk around the pictursque district of Plaka
- Stroll through the Agora, once a vivid and bustling marketplace which is considered to be the cradle of democracy
- Walk through the Flea Market and onto the central Adrianou Street
DescriptionBegin your tour early in the morning with a visit to the Acropolis of Athens. Located in the middle of modern Athens, the 'sacred rock' proudly displays a set of marble monuments that express their outstanding universal value. Walk uphill through the Propylaea grand marble entrance, as you contemplate the hills of Philoppapus, Pnyx, and Mars. Discover the astonishing construction of the Parthenon, the most splendid temple ever built by the Greeks and dedicated to the goddess Athena. Admire the Erechtheion with its renowned Caryatids and the view of the temple of Athena Nike, before gazing at the infinite modern city from the hilltop, stretching between low mountains and the Aegean Sea. Explore all sides for panoramic views of the old town and its picturesque neoclassical buildings, as well as the ancient theater of Dionysus, the Roman temple of Zeus, and the world-famous Herodeion Theater. Continue on to the spectacular Acropolis Museum, the most modern museum of Athens. Made of concrete, steel and glass, it houses a wide collection of original sculptures from the Acropolis and its slopes, where the glass floor reveals to visitors the ruins of ancient buildings underneath. As lunchtime approaches, you can choose to dine in the museum’s restaurant or the museum district, near Plaka. In the picturesque district of Monastiraki, encounter the second-most-significant historical site of Athens, the Agora. Once a vivid and bustling marketplace, the Agora was for many centuries the heart of Athens, filled with stores, administrative buildings, public monuments, and temples. Stroll around the ruins of public monuments, the ancient parliament, and store stoas that once embellished the area. Find out more about philosophers such as Socrates, Athenian politics, and the society of Greek antiquity, and admire the temple of Hephaestus - the best preserved classical temple of Greece which offers panoramic views of all of Agora. Towards the latter stage of your tour, visit the local museum’s collection, which features ancient drachma coins, measurement weights, voting ballots, and high-quality pottery, among many other interesting exhibits. Finally, visit the National Archaeological Museum, which is the largest archaeological museum in Greece. Its collections represent the whole range of Greek history and art, from Prehistory to Late Antiquity and from Greek to Roman times.
IncludesPrivate tour English-speaking driver (not authorized to enter into the sites and museums as per Greek law) Private transportation in a luxury Mercedes vehicle Pickup and drop-off service Licensed English-speaking guide (if option selected) Mineral water Wet and dry tissues WiFi
- • Please wait in the hotel lobby 15 minutes before your scheduled pickup time
- The itinerary is subject to change according to the opening-closing hours of the venues and depending on the tourist season
- Meals are not included in the rate, but adequate time will be given for a lunch or coffee break
- The tickets for the archaeological sites and museums are not included in the rate, but they can be provided upon request through e-mail correspondence after your booking confirmation
- Comfortable shoes and clothes, sunscreen, a hat, and sunglasses are recommended
- Smoking is not permitted inside the vehicle