My Guide Website?
Athens Shore Excursion: Private Tour to Marathon
Leave your cruise ship behind and take a private tour to the town of Marathon. Learn about the Battle of Marathon and uncover the origins of the first marathon race. Head to Lake Marathon where you’ll see the only marble dam in the world.
- Enjoy a private 4-hour shore excursion to Marathon from Athens
- Visit Marathon Tomb and learn about the Battle of Marathon
- Discover the origins of the very first marathon and the legend of the soldier who ran it
- Marvel at the verdant natural beauty of Lake Marathon and Marathon Dam, the world’s only marble dam
- Make the most of personalized commentary from your private guide
DescriptionMeet your private driver and guide at Piraeus Port in Athens. Sit back and relax in your comfortable, air-conditioned car on the journey to Marathon. As you start your shore excursion, talk with your guide about the region and take the opportunity to ask any questions you may have. After around an hour, make your first stop on the Athens-Marathon road, roughly 2.5 miles (4 kilometers) before the town of Marathon. Here, visit Marathon Tomb, a 33-foot (10-meter) high mound where 192 soldiers who died in the Battle of Marathon were buried. Listen as your guide shares the tale of this tragic battle that took place in 490 BC during the first Persian invasion of Greece. Then discover the origins of the namesake race at the site where it originated. Hear the legend of the soldier who ran 26 miles to Athens, without stopping, to announce the Persian defeat, only to collapse and die after sharing the news. Continue on to Lake Marathon, a water supply reservoir that is surrounded by lush greenery. Wander toward the pristine Marathon Dam, the only marble dam in the world, and take in the stunning natural vistas, perhaps stopping in the cafe to recharge with a cooling drink or light snack (own expense). When the time comes, hop back inside your private transport and return to Piraeus Port where your tour concludes.
IncludesHotel pick-up and drop off Private guide Professional driver Transport by private vehicle Entrance fees
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Infant seats are available on request if advised at time of booking
- At time of booking, cruise ship passengers must provide the following information: ship name, docking time, disembarkation time and re-boarding time
- Please wear comfortable shoes