My Guide Website?
Cape Sounion with Guided Tour in the Temple of Poseidon176 Reviews
Cape Sounio, Temple of Poseidon
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Athens:If youʻre booking your trip to Athens last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Visit the Temple of Poseidon
- Drive along coastal roads past scenic beaches
- Get stunning views of the Saronic Gulf
DescriptionAfternoon Tour Driving along the coastal road past the wonderful beaches of Glyfada, Vouliagmeni, Varkiza and countless coves, you have a splendid view of the Saronic Gulf. A crowning feature of the tour Cape Sounion is, the Temple of Poseidon, god of the sea. Standing atop sheer cliffs overlooking the Aegean Sea, the marble temple has served as a landmark for sailors from ancient times until today. The 'Sanctuary of Sounion' is first mentioned in the Odyssey, as the place where Menelaus stopped during his return from Troy to bury his helmsman, Phrontes Onetorides. Construction on the grand Temple of Poseidon began around 500 BC but was never completed; the temple and all the votive offerings were destroyed by the Persians in 480 BC. The Temple of Poseidon that now stands at Sounio was built in 444 BC atop the older temple ruins. After the guided tour of the Temple we return to Athens approximately at 7pm.
IncludesProfessional Guide Transportation with deluxe buses Entrance fees Free Wifi connection on the tour coach Free map of Athens and Greece
- The Temple of Poseidon is closed on December 25, January 1, March 25, and May 1.
- Bilingual French-English tours run on Mondays, Fridays, and Wednesdays
- Very important notice: children and students aged 5 to 18 must present a valid passport or ID on the day of the tour to get the discounted price. Otherwise, they will be required to re-purchase new entrance tickets at the full price.