My Guide Website?
From Athens: Full-Day Rail Tour to Meteora w/ Hermit Caves269 Reviews
Visit the breathtaking Meteora Monasteries on a full-day guided tour from Athens by minibus and train. Explore the caves of Bandovas and make plenty of stops to capture videos and photos along the way.
- Visit 3 monasteries inside and the hidden hermit caves
- Admire the beauty of the countryside
- See all 6 monasteries and take photos at several breathtaking vistas
- Enjoy a top quality tour with a first-class train ticket option and luxury bus
- Learn about the legends of the old hermitages of Bandovas
DescriptionTravel by train through the countryside on a day trip from Athens to the Meteora monasteries and Hermit caves, with the option to upgrade to first-class tickets. Take a scenic drive from Kalambaka and visit 3 of the monasteries atop their rock pinnacles along with the caves of Badovas with a guide. Catch the train to Kalambaka in the morning from the Athens railway station and enjoy a trip that will give you the chance to admire the beauty of the countryside. Arrive in Kalambaka by noon, a small town built at the foot of the majestic grey rocks, and crowded by the Meteora monasteries. Meet your driver and board a VIP Mercedes minibus to transfer to the UNESCO-listed clifftop monasteries of Meteora. Travel through a landscape of green valleys until you reach the rock formations. Visit 3 active monasteries over the next 5 hours (entrance fees not included). Next, discover the caves of Badovas, where the last of the hermit monks of Meteora lived more than 2 centuries ago. Stop for frame-worthy photos at each site, learn the stories and legends, and enjoy great views from the most panoramic spots. At the end of the day, be driven back to Kalambaka. Enjoy an hour of free time to walk in the town’s center or to have a light lunch (at your expense) before hopping on the return train to Athens.
IncludesRound-trip train tickets from Athens to Kalambaka Tour guide Tour of Meteora by Mercedes luxury minibus Map of Meteora Photo stops in panoramic viewpoints Visit 3 monasteries inside and the hidden Hermit caves of Badovas See all 6 monasteries Free bottle of water Free Wi-Fi onboard the bus Free time in Kalambaka town First-class train ticket (if option selected)
- To enter the monasteries, women must wear long pants/skirts and long-sleeved clothing. Shorts are not allowed. Both men and women must cover their knees and shoulders. You may risk being refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements
- You will board the train from Athens on your own, using the tickets sent to you via email, 1 month before your trip date. Your guide will meet you at Kalambaka train station