My Guide Website?
From Athens: Meteora Day Trip by Train with Audio Guide14 Reviews
Take a fascinating full-day trip to see the Meteora rock formations and their UNESCO World Heritage-listed monasteries from Athens. Travel by train, then enjoy a minibus tour in Meteora and Kalabaka.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Athens:If youʻre booking your trip to Athens last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Visit the world-famous Meteora and walk inside old Christian Monasteries
- Learn the natural history about the marvelous millions-year-old rock formations
- Awe at the breathtaking views and snap unforgettable photos of the landscape
- Listen to the fascnitating history in 6 languages with our Audioguide
- Enjoy hassle-free morning transfer from 4 meeting points to the train station
DescriptionSet off on a full-day trip to Meteora from Athens. Explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site and marvel at the monasteries built on the towering pillar-like rocks. Visit two of the monasteries and see how Greek Christian monk life looks like. You will receive the train ticket by email. In the morning you will be picked up from the meeting point of your choice in downtown Athens and will be transferred to the Athens train station. Board the train that will take you to Kalabaka in less than 4.5 hours. Sit back and relax looking out the window and take in the stunning countryside as you travel and snap some photos. Arrive in the traditional town of Kalabaka by noon, the city is built on the foot of the majestic Meteora rocks. You will be picked up at the train station by your guide and the rest of the group in an airconditioned minibus. The Meteora tour starts then. You will see the 6 monasteries and enter 2 of them (every day there are only 2 open). The entrance to the Monasteries is no included. The guide in the bus will tell you the story of how the Meteora rock formations were created millions of years ago and you will learn about the nature and the history of this extraordinary place. In the 9th century, monks began inhabiting them again and in the 14th century, the first monasteries were built. Nowadays, Meteora is home to one of the most important complexes of Eastern Orthodox monasteries. See all six of these monasteries built on large naturally formed pillars as you explore The tour will also take you to see from a distance the Badouva Caves, where Greek Christian monks used to reside in the past inside the rocks. Of course you will have many chances to take unforgettable photos at marvelous viewpoints on Meteora. Later the bus will take you back to Kalabaka town so that you enjoy free time for a meal, coffee and/or shopping before you take the train back to Athens. Back to Athens you can easily take the metro or a taxi back to your hotel or acoomodation from the train station. An unforgettable day ends here, we hope you enjoy it!
IncludesRound-trip train ticket from Athens to Kalabaka Pickup service from 4 meeting points in the center of Athens Audio Guide in 6 Languages ( English, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, and Russian) Meteora tour by air-conditioned minibus Photo stops in Meteora Visit inside 2 of the 6 monasteries (entrance fees not included) Local guide on the minibus
- For the monasteries that aren't included with this tour: the monastery entry fee is €3 per person per monastery
- You will travel by train from Athens to Kalabaka on your own, then you will join the tour in Meteora
- Our local partner will send you the train ticket via email on the day before the tour (please check your spam folder too) • Delays in the train trip will influence the duration of the tour