My Guide Website?
From Athens: Private Meteora Day Tour with Optional Guide
Combine nature, history and architecture on a private full day trip to Meteora from Athens. Visit monasteries such as the Great Meteoron Monastery perched atop giant natural pillars, accessible by pathways carved into the rock.
- Marvel at Meteora , a UNESCO World Heritage-listed site
- Visit the Great Meteoron Monastery which dates back hundreds of years
- Snap fantastic photos of towering cliffs and expansive landscapes
- See the Monastery of the Holy Trinity, seen in James Bonds' 'For Your Eyes Only'
- Travel in air-conditioned comfort in a private van
- Choose to tour the site at your own pace, or with your own private guide
DescriptionWear comfortable walking shoes for your private full day tour to Meteora to explore dramatically placed monasteries atop cliffs rising up to 300 meters. Enjoy the comfort and convenience of private return transportation from your Athens hotel to Meteora . Your day starts with pickup at your Athens hotel by private van. The drive to Meteora takes around 4 hours, but don't worry, your transportation has free wi-fi to help pass the time. On arrival at Meteora your time is your own to explore at your own pace. If you have selected the option with a guide, your expert guide will lead the way while telling you the history and stories of this remarkable UNESCO World Heritage site. There are 6 active Eastern Orthodox monasteries which you may visit. The monasteries at Meteora date as far back as the 11th-century, and you will wonder how such a feat of engineering was achieved. The largest and most visited is the stunning Great Meteoron Monastery, founded in 1356. Another popular site is the Monastery of the Holy Trinity, visually dramatic and seen in the James Bond movie 'For Your Eyes Only'. There is also a museum, beautiful frescos and a variety of religious icons and books to be discovered. Please note, access to the sites is on foot only, and involves climbing stairs and some narrow pathways. The location is as compelling as the architecture, with the monasteries peacefully placed on top of huge vertical cliffs which rise from the Plain of Thessaly. The whole area is a dramatic backdrop for some fantastic photos to remember your visit to Meteora. At the end of the day your private transportation will return you to Athens in comfort once again, finishing with drop-off at your hotel.
IncludesGuide - if option selected Hotel pickup and drop-off (any hotel in Athens) Transportation by luxury minibus with wi-fi
- For entry to monasteries, women are required to wear long skirts (no pants/trousers) and have their shoulders covered. Men must wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts.