From Athens: Trip to Meteora by Train with Overnight Stay6 Reviews
Join this two-day tour and travel from Athens, the mother of western civilization, to one of the most significant Monastic communes in Greece, the world heritage monument of UNESCO Meteora.
- Take a train through the mainland of Greece and reach Meteora
- Admire a unique in the world geological formation, which also belongs to UNESCO's world heritage sites
- Discover the beauty and the biodiversity of Greek countryside
- Enjoy two guided tours on the Meteora rocks and see all six unique monasteries
- Explore the town of Kalambaka and pay a visit to area's museums
DescriptionThis is a 2-day tour from Athens to Meteora and includes an overnight stay at a hotel, train tickets, and tours on the Meteora Rocks and monasteries in a small group. Receive your tickets and go to the Central Railway Station of Athens (Stathmos Larissis) at 7 AM. Board the train to Kalampaka and arrive in Meteora at 11:30 AM. Pickup from the train station and drive to the hotel where you will be picked up at 2 PM and have the sunset tour. See all the six monasteries, a hermitage, and a Byzantine church so you will be immersed in the history of the area. Afterward, at around 5 PM you will be transferred to your hotel. Now you have free time to spend exploring Kalambaka. Find excellent museums including the National History Museum and Digital Projection Centre of Meteora. Wander every corner of the city and discover restaurants to taste the excellent local cuisine. The next day, choose to take either the midday Monastery tour or the hiking in Meteora tour. After your activity, you will be driven back to the center of Kalabaka and you will have over an hour to spend under the shadow of the giant rocks either having lunch or a coffee or whatever you wish. You will then be given all the necessary information of how to catch the train back to Athens. The train journey is 4 hours long so please bring a book or be prepared to talk to other passengers.
IncludesRound trip economy train ticket between Athens and Kalampaka, which can be upgraded on request Accommodation in a 3-star hotel with breakfast, which can be upgraded to 4-star on request Engish-speaking tour leader Bottle of water Wi-Fi on board All taxes and services Pick up or drop-off in Athens Entrance fees to the monasteries, which are €3 per person Entrance fee to the Byzantine Church, which is €2 per person Lunch or dinner Gratuities (optional) Hotel tax (between 1,5 and 4 €, to be paid on site)
- You will receive the train tickets by email. Please be at the train station in Athens 30-minutes before the train departure time
- You will travel by train on your own and will meet the group at the Kalabaka train station; the guide will help you check in at the hotel
- There is a maximum of 13 people for the tour on Meteora. Children under 3 years old go free if they share a seat with their parent on the minibus.
- The guide will give you information about the monasteries but will not escort you into them
- Due to local regulations, you must pay a hotel tax (between €1.50 and €4) at the hotel
- At the monasteries men must wear trousers and a t-shirt or a shirt with sleeves and women must wear a long skirt
- Please be ready and wait at the reception area at least 10 minutes before the appointment time
- Credit cards are not accepted for paying the monastery's entrance fees
- Animals are not allowed to enter the monasteries.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability