3-Day Ancient Greek Archaeological Sites Tour from Athens7 Reviews
Explore some of the most important archeological sites of classical Greece on a 3-day tour of Mycenae, Delphi, and Olympia. Go to the ancient center of the world, see the historic Corinth Canal, and visit the birthplace of the Olympic Games.
- Explore some of the greatest treasures of classical Greece
- Admire the 19th-century feat of engineering of the Corinth Canal
- Visit the ancient theater at Epidaurus, famous for its outstanding acoustics
- Discover the ruins of the citadel of Mycenae
- Tour the birthplace of the Olympic Games and see the altar of the Olympic flame
- Drive through the Parnassus Mountains
- Go to the former center of the earth and see the Oracle of Delphi
DescriptionThis exciting 3-day tour takes you to the most important archaeological sites of classical Greece. Providing a superb introduction to some of the myths of the ancient world, you will visit the tomb of Agamemnon in Mycenae, the Temple of Apollo and Oracle at Delphi, and the altar of the Olympic flame at Olympia. You will also make short stops in the cities of Tripolis and Megalopolis, drive past the mighty Corinth Canal, and see the charming harbor town of Nafpaktos. Day 1: Epidaurus – Nayplia - Mycenae Following your departure from Athens, visit the Corinth Canal on the Saronic Gulf and admire the miraculous 19th-century feat of engineering. Continue to Epidaurus to tour the ancient theater, world famous for its outstanding acoustics. Proceed to Nafplia, former capital of the First Hellenic Republic, and drive through the plain of Argos. Upon arrival in Mycenae, visit the ruins of the citadel and the Tomb of Agamemnon. Continue to Olympia for your overnight stay, traveling via the cities of Tripolis and Megalopolis, where you can take short stops to stretch your legs or purchase souvenir items. Day 2: Olympia - Delphi Visit the archaeological remains of Olympia, site of the Olympic Games in classical times and sacred ground to the Ancient Greeks. Admire the Doric columns of the Temples of Zeus and Hera, see the remains of the Stadium, and go to the altar of the Olympic flame. Explore the Archaeological Museum of Olympia, located directly opposite the ruins and filled with excavated artifacts. Depart Olympia for Rion, and cross the Corinthian Bay via the new bridge to Antirion. Sit back and enjoy the ride along the coastal road to Delphi, passing the charming small harbor city of Nafpaktos. In the afternoon visit the picturesque mountain village of Arachova on the slopes of the Parnassus Mountains, before your overnight stay in Delphi. Day 3: Delphi - Athens Today you will experience the mysterious atmosphere of Delphi up close, with a tour of the archaeological site perched high on the Parnassus Mountains. Once regarded as the center of the world, Delphi was connected to the worship of Gaia, or Mother Earth, and guarded by a Python dragon that was killed by Apollo. You will visit the temple dedicated to Apollo, and learn about the great Oracle of Delphi. Continue to the theater, where up to 5,000 spectators would watch plays, poetry readings, and festivals. Enjoy superb views of the Parnassus Mountains and valley from the top of the hill, and explore an impressive collection of artifacts and relics associated with ancient Delphi at the Archaeological Museum. In the afternoon, the tour will make its way back to Athens, driving through the vine and olive tree-studded hills of Parnassus and the Valley of Phocis.
IncludesAccommodation in 3 star or 4 star hotel (depending on the selected option) Entrance fees Transfers by luxury air-conditioned bus Breakfast and dinner Drinks Lunch Optional gratuities Personal expenses Hotel tax
- Please note that a hotel accommodation tax will be applied to your tour. The tax will be paid directly to the hotel and the cost is as follows: 5 star hotels - €4 per room/per night, 4 star hotels - €3 per room/per night, 3 star hotels - €1.50 per room/per night
- Pickup is available from the majority of hotels in Athens and takes place approximately 1 hour before the tour departure time. Alternatively, you can meet at the tour supplier's office 15 minutes before the tour.
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability