My Guide Website?
From Athens: Delphi and Meteora 2-Day Guided Tour426 Reviews
Explore the Delphi archeological site and marvel at amazing cliff-top monasteries in Meteora on this 2-day guided tour from Athens. Visit the Temple of Apollo in Delphi and 2 of the monasteries in Meteora, perched high above the surrounding countryside.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Athens:If youʻre booking your trip to Athens last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Explore the ruins at Delphi, including the Temple of Apollo and the Delphi Theater
- Enjoy a relaxing drive through beautiful Greek countryside
- Marvel at the fascinating cliff-top monasteries in Meteora
- Travel green as we are reducing your carbon footprint with an offsetting program
DescriptionEmbark on a 2-day tour that takes you to the ancient city of Delphi and across the scenic Plain of Thessaly to Kalambaka. Explore the picturesque small town located at the foot of Meteora, the site of one of the most important groups of Greek Orthodox monasteries, and minimize your environmental footprint with this gas emissions-neutral tour. Detailed Itinerary Day 1 Start the day with a relaxing drive through the beautiful Greek countryside, passing by the cities of Thebes, Levadia, and Arachova, before arriving in Delphi at around noon. At Delphi, you’ll have the opportunity to visit this important site that appears in Greek mythology. In ancient times, Delphi was considered to be the center of the universe and was guarded by a python dragon that was killed by Apollo. See the ruins of the Temple of Apollo, which was built in the 4th century B.C. and was destroyed by Emperor Theodosius I in 390 A.D. It was also here that the priestess Pythia would foretell the future from the famous Oracle of Delphi. Visit the theater that seated 5,000 spectators and hosted plays, poetry readings, and festivals. At the nearby stadium, the Pythian Games were held every 4 years. Athletes from all over the Greek world would come to compete, and these games would become the predecessor to the modern Olympics. At the end of the day, drive to Kalambaka, a lovely city with beautiful gardens and magnificent views of the Meteora rocks. Overnight in Kalambaka. Day 2 In the morning, head to Meteora for a tour of the fascinating cliff-top monasteries. Be amazed by the cliffs, which average a height of 1,000 feet, and were first inhabited in the 9th century by a group of hermit monks who lived on the rock towers Today 6 monasteries remain out of the original 20. Views of the entire valley from the magnificent rock towers, and the peace of the surroundings, make this a unique place to visit. On the way back to Athens you’ll make a short stop at the monument to Leonidas, the King of Sparta who died in 480 B.C. at the famous Battle of Thermopylae.
IncludesPickup and drop-off service from selected hotels Transportation by luxury, air-conditioned, non-smoking bus Accommodation in 3* or 4* hotel (depending on the selected option) Breakfast Dinner Professional guide Admission to the Delphi archaeological site Admission to Stoa of Athenians Admission to 2 monasteries
- Pick-up is available from the majority of hotels in Athens and takes place approximately 1 hour before the tour departure time
- Alternatively, you can meet at the tour operator's office 15 minutes before the tour departure
- To enter the monasteries, appropriate clothing is required: Ladies should not wear short skirts and must wear long sleeves. Men are not allowed to wear shorts
- Please note that a hotel accommodation tax will be applied. The tax will be paid directly to the hotel and the cost is as follows: 4 star hotels - €3 per room/per night and 3 star hotels - €1.50 per room/per night