My Guide Website?
From Athens: Meteora Caves & Monasteries Day Trip by Train236 Reviews
Discover the monasteries and caves of Meteora on a full-day tour from Athens. Travel by train through the countryside to experience the biodiversity and the ecological value of Greece.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Athens:If youʻre booking your trip to Athens last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- From Athens: 4-Days Classical Tour with Meteora
- Athens Riviera Trikke Bike Tour & Vouliagmeni Lake
- From Athens: Hydra, Poros, and Aegina Day Cruise with Lunch
- Athens: Museum of Illusions Admission Ticket
- From Athens: Delphi Archaeological Site Full-Day Guided Trip
- Experience a scenic train ride from Athens to Kalambaka
- See all of the 6 monasteries in one day
- Explore the interiors of 3 monasteries
- Visit the Hermit caves of St.Nicholas Badovas
- Enjoy amazing photo stops and some of the best views
DescriptionDiscover the beauty and history of Meteora on a day trip from Athens. Take in stunning views of the Greek countryside on the comfortable train ride to the town of Kalambaka. Travel with a guide on a van or bus and stop to capture pictures at six historic monasteries. Begin from Stathmos Larissis, the central railway station of Athens, where you will get on the train that takes you to Kalambaka. The train departs at 07:58 AM. In Paleofarsalos you will get off the train and you will take the bus to Kalambaka. Throughout your journey, indulge in the unique scenic the Greek countryside provides. Upon arrival, meet your guide, who will be holding a signboard with your name on it. Walk with your guide to the Hermit caves, explore the area and you'll have the opportunity to see fantastic viewpoints that only the locals know. Then you will visit Meteora or as the locals call it, the stone forest of Meteora. Discover the 6 active and accessible monasteries, visit 3 inside where you can admire the old frescoes and the Christian architecture. During the tour you will stop in many places with an indescribable view for some unforgettable photos. Please note that your transfer from Athens (Larissis railway station ) to Paleofarsalos railway station is by train, but from Paleofarsalos to Kalambaka the transport is temporarily done by an elevated air-conditioned bus by Hellenic Train.
IncludesTransportation from Kalampaka train station to Meteora by Mercedes minibus Roundtrip ticket from Athens to Kalambaka Visit the interior of 3 monasteries Local guide on the minibus Bottled water Wi-fi on board Photo stops in Meteora Hermit Caves visit
- The transport from Athens railway station to Palefarsalos railway station is by train but from Paleofarsalos to Kalambaka is temporalily done by elevated air-conditioned bus. The reason is that train has stopped operating due to the devastating floods in the region of Thessaly. However , the itineraries and stops of this tour remain unaffected so you can enjoy this activity with confidence. Babies up to 3 years old are free to join if they can share a seat with their parents.