My Guide Website?
From Athens: Private Historic Tour to Marathon & Thermopylae
Discover where some of the most significant battles of the ancient Greek world took place on this private trip to Marathon and Thermopylae from Athens. Visit the Archaeological Museum of Marathon.
- Learn the exciting history of the famous battles of Marathon and Thermopylae
- Visit the museums at each battle site and see relevant historical artifacts
- See the statue in honour of Leonidas, famous hero of the Battle of Thermopylae
- Stop at the springs of Thermopylae and see where Hercules once stopped to relax
- Discover artifacts from many archaeological periods at the Museum of Marathon
DescriptionVisit some of the most interesting and exciting sites of historical battles in the ancient Greek world, and learn about the battles while doing so. See the sites of the Battle of Marathon and the Battle of Thermopylae, and see their associated museums and monuments. Learn about the Battle of Marathon, during the second campaign of the Persians against Greece, and how the Persians and Greeks fought on the plain of Marathon in 490 BC. Visit the Archaeological Museum of Marathon, which explores the history of the area from prehistoric times to the Roman period with archaeological finds from different periods in the area's history. See finds from the tombs of those who died in the battle, and items from the Roman Sanctuary of the Egyptian gods in Brexiza. Move on to the site of the Battle in the Straits of Thermopylae, and learn about Leonidas of Sparta, and the heroic efforts of the heavily outnumbered Greek forces. See the statue of Leonidas and the Thermopylae Museum, its three exhibition halls, and multimedia presentations. Stop at the springs of Thermopylae, and see the hot thermal water that runs through the area and stays at 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit) year-round. Take a coffee break here, where Hercules stopped to enjoy the natural spa after his triumphs. Return to Athens at the end of the day.
IncludesPickup and drop-off at a chosen location Private transportation with English speaking driver Mineral water Wet & dry tissues All taxes
- All the dates of the tour are guaranteed departure