My Guide Website?
From Athens: Ancient Corinth & Daphni Monastery39 Reviews
If you are interested in religious tours, this tour is the perfect choice for you. You will have the opportunity to discover two must-see sights on this memorable day trip from Athens. You'll explore ancient Corinth and Monastery of Daphni.
- Participate in a religious tour
- Visit the Monastery of Daphni with its superb mosaics
- Admire a UNESCO World Heritage Site and pass from the famous Corinth Canal
- Visit the ruins of ancient Corinth and see the Temple of Apollo
DescriptionAfter your morning pick-up from your centrally located hotel, the bus will drive to Corinth via Iera Odos (the Sacred Way). It was so-called this because it was the route taken by a procession celebrating the Eleusinian Mysteries. Initiations were held every year for the cult of Demeter and Persephone based in Eleusis. Your first stop will be the Monastery of Daphni, a 11th-century Byzantine monastery listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site together with the Monasteries Hosios Loukas and Nea Moni of Chios. The interior of the church is decorated with superb mosaics, a unique, fine example of the classical idealism of Middle Byzantine art. The crowded scenes of the mosaics narrate scenes from the life of Christ and the Virgin. Driving along the coastal road, reach Corinth Canal, which merges the Aegean with the Ionian Sea (short stop for photos of the breathtaking view). Shortly thereafter, reach the ancient town of Corinth, where St. Paul lived and preached for two years (Acts 18:1-18). Visit the ruins of the ancient city where Paul worked with Aquila and Priscilla, see the remains of the first century shops, the agora where Paul’s trial by Gallio took place, the Fountain of Peirene and one of the most outstanding monuments of the pre–Roman period, the Temple of Apollo.
IncludesProfessional licensed guide Transportation by luxury vehicle Athens hotel pick-up/ drop-off service Entrance fees
- Please note that for the moment the entrance to the monastery is free of charge. In case the ministry announces a price, entrance fees will not be included in the price of the tour
- Pickup is available from the majority of hotels in Athens and takes place approximately 1 hour before the tour departure time. Alternatively, you can meet at the tour supplier's office 15 minutes before the tour departure time.