My Guide Website?
Athens: Ultimate Food Tour1 Reviews
Explore the essence of Athens through food on this guided exploration of Greek taverns and local eateries. Discover vibrant markets and neighborhoods and try 13 different dishes on this guided tour.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Athens:If youʻre booking your trip to Athens last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Athens Half-Day Private City Tour
- Athens: The History of Greek Mythology Private Tour
- Athens Riviera Trikke Bike Tour & Vouliagmeni Lake
- Athens: The Original Greek Food Tour
- Athens: Full-Day Island Hopping Cruise with Lunch & Transfer
- Connect with passionate shop owners bursting with knowledge
- Explore Athens' vibrant central market with the best produce
- Savor creamy cheeses and yogurt from around Greece
- Visit the best bars and shops in 3 historic neighborhoods
- Discover the unwritten rules and traditions of Greek dining
DescriptionStart the day like true locals sipping on a traditional Greek coffee at a legendary spot that has been serving up coffee since 1923, accompanied by mouthwatering Loukoumades. Explore the lively central market of Athens. Steeped in history, this market has withstood the test of time, surviving wars, bombardments, earthquakes, and passionate locals haggling for the best deals. Engage with enthusiastic shop owners and indulge in an assortment of olives, including the renowned Kalamata olives. Pop into two extraordinary food stores nestled on the outskirts of the market to feast on irresistibly delicious pistachios, different variations of premium Greek Feta cheese, and let's not forget the heavenly combination of Greek yogurt topped with a drizzle of luscious Greek honey—a true local specialty that you won't want to miss! Next, an exceptional restaurant that specializes in Karamalnides cuisine as you learn the story of Greeks who were forcibly displaced from their homelands. Prepare your taste buds as we sample cold cuts and traditional meze dishes infused with Eastern spices and flavors. Afterwards, stroll through the bohemian Psirri neighborhood to one of the city's most iconic bakeries. This place attracts Athenians from all walks of life--presidents, partygoers, and even celebrities flock here at every hour of the day to grab one of their famous koulouri. No food tour of Athens would be complete without sinking your teeth into the iconic souvlaki. Picture a Greek pita bread filled to the brim with succulent pork, chicken, lamb, tzatziki, onion, and potatoes. You'll try it at a trendy street food joint run by a group of passionate chefs and friends who prepare meat typically found only in the Greek countryside. Your next stop is in the Plaka neighborhood at the foot of the Acropolis, in a bar and distillery owned by a family crafting liqueurs since 1909. Taste the Brettos family's star liqueur while delving into the rich history of the place, all while surrounded by vibrant, old barrels. Prepare to satiate your cravings with some truly delectable home-cooked local dishes at this next gem. Sit down in a cozy, family-run restaurant and savor their daily specials, such as the irresistible stuffed bell peppers or the comforting layers of moussaka. Finally, you'll head to a charming bakery owned for a tantalizing treat as you indulge in their unique sweet pie, the Galatopita.
IncludesLocal English-speaking guide. Expertly guided food tour. 13+ tastes across 9 iconic family run businesses in 3 historic neighborhoods. Small group of 10 guests maximum.
- This tour is not wheelchair nor stroller accessible (infants should be carried).
- Those with dietary restrictions should contact us before joining the tour so we can arrange for alternative options.
- This tour is adaptable for: Vegetarians, Pescatarians, Dairy free, Non-alcoholic options & Pregnant women, however, please note that you may not have a replacement food option at every stop.
- This tour is not recommended for Vegans, Dairy Free or Gluten Free. •