My Guide Website?
Cats of Athens: Self-Guided Mobile Tour in Plaka4 Reviews
Athens is a city that belongs to the cats. Visit five corners of the Plaka area that form the backdrop for a meeting with the city’s four-legged residents, as you explore the story of their adventurous arrival and domination.
- Watch the sunlight dance on the fur of the cats fur in Anafiotika
- Hear the primordial purring of cats as you overlook the ancient Agora
- Feel the glories of the Byzantine and Ottoman as you read about the spoon-fed Mechlempae, the imperial cat
DescriptionThis self-guided mobile tour is based on an award-winning storytelling concept and the fascinating narratives prepared by handpicked destination experts. You can enjoy this multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step to explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule. After downloading the app from Apple Appstore or Google Play, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text), it is recommended to use headphones. This is a tour based on, and dedicated to, the beautiful cats of Athens. In contrast to most traditional guided tours that tend to focus on the ancient temples, the medieval churches, and the neoclassical jewels of this city, the tour focuses on these felines and highlights the almost mythical stories of their arrival and gradual domination in Athens. This journey down memory lane begins at one of Athens’ most picturesque spots. Anafiotika is an island in the heart of Athens with narrow lanes and tiny whitewashed houses clinging to the rocks. Ancient Athenian households and markets were full of dogs, grasshoppers, crickets, hedgehogs or monkeys who served as pets. You were more likely to come across a cheetah than a cat in downtown Athens. As you make your way through the Plaka district, take time and introduce yourself to the city’s adventurous feline residents who enjoy a bird’s-eye view of the ancient Agora. The remains of the Byzantine church, visible beneath the foundations of the mosque in the Roman Agora, reverberate with the calls of Mechlempe’s descendants. He was the imperial Byzantine cat and lived a life of luxury as he ate from gold plates. During the Ottoman period, cats were the subjects of as much adoration as in the time of the pharaohs. The ruins of the madrasa remain a favorite feline haunt in memory of that relationship.
IncludesSelf-guided audio tour in your smartphone offered in English and Greek Offline content with an offline interactive map and signature stories Activation link to access your audio tour Smartphone Transportation Entrance fees Food/drinks Pickup and drop-off
- • Please note this is an audio tour; no physical guide will accompany you
- You must have an Android or iOS smartphone for this digital tour. The tour is not compatible with Windows Phones, iPhone 5/5C or older, iPod Touch 5th generation or older, iPad 4th generation or older, or iPad Mini 1st generation • The tour is yours to use at any moment you wish and also repeat any time • Use of headphones is recommended, in order to best enjoy this multimedia self-guided tour
- Non-refundable once activated
- Please ensure you have 100-150 MB of storage space
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Reserve Your Experience
Instant Booking ConfirmationBook Now