My Guide Website?
Athens: Full Day Trip to Nafplio and Ancient Epidaurus107 Reviews
Discover the coastal city of Nafplio, the first capital of Greece on this day trip from Athens. Explore its rich architecture, ancient monuments, and the famed theater of Epidaurus.
- Visit the coastal city of Nafplio, the first capital of Greece
- Enjoy a visit to the small island of Bourtzi Castle (optional)
- Taste the unique gastronomy of Greece
- Explore the impressive, hilltop Castle of Palamidi and take in views from here
- Retrace history at the ancient theatre of Epidaurus and enjoy its acoustics
DescriptionExplore the sights of Nafplio on this guided day trip from Athens. Stay connected during the trip with WIFI on the bus. Climb to the Castle of Palamidi and admire the Bourtzi Castle and Acronauplia. Depart Athens with a friendly escort (archaeologist) by bus from the Halandri Metro station and reach Nafplio where there are various alternative options to discover the hidden gems of the city. Have plenty of free time to climb the 999 steps of the Castle of Palamidi (or let the bus drive you to it) and admire the wide view of the region along with the endless beauty of the Argolic Gulf from the top of the hill. Appreciate architecture that has Venetian, Byzantine, Ottoman and modern Greek influences. Have the chance to purchase a boat trip to Bourtzi Castle. Take in views of the Acronauplia as well as the various picturesque squares in the city center. Observe the colorful venetian houses that attract your eyes with the bougainvilleas flashing from the balconies. Enrich your trip by buying a ticket to the Komboloi Museum and the distillery of Tsipouro, Ouzo, or Mastiha (traditional liquors). Stop by cozy tavern to purchase a local lunch. Travel back in time with a visit to the ancient theater of Epidaurus which was a sanatorium that was connected intensively with the Asclepeion healing temples in ancient times. Asclepeion was the 5* hotel of the ancient times and is considered as the origin of the medical science. Feel the aura of the ancient tragedians by purchasing entrance to the ancient theatre of Epidaurus. Experience the theater with the greatest acoustic of all time which still hosts the Festival of Epidaurus every summer. Return to your meeting point in Athens at the end of your tour.
IncludesRound-trip transportation from Athens Transfer in a new, luxurious air-conditioned bus English-speaking escort (archaeologist) Free WiFi on the bus Basic travel insurance Options for visits to sites and museums
- This tour has one meeting point at the Halandri Metro Station, which is easily reachable by the Blue Metro Line from Athens downtown. In this way you save time (up to 2 hours), instead of sitting on the bus, in traffic, waiting for all hotel pickups to finish. Make sure to arrive 10 minutes prior to the time indicated in the schedule.
- Wear comfortable shoes to walk and please bring money for the entrance fees to the sites you will choose to visit