Athens: Meteora Independent Train Trip and Monastery Tour110 Reviews
A full-day tour in which you will catch the train from Athens to discover the fabulous Meteora. You will travel through the countryside, seeing the biodiversity and the enormous ecological value of Greek nature.
- See all six monasteries in one day
- Explore the interiors of 3 of the monasteries
- Admire the beauty of the Greek countryside
- Let the skilled guide enlighten you about the culture and history of the area
- Enjoy amazing photo stops and some of the best views
DescriptionYour tour will begin from 'Stathmos Larissis', the fabulous central railway station of Athens where you will depart to Kalambaka from. Throughout your train journey, indulge in the unique scenic routes that the Greek countryside provides. You can discover a mosaic of unique beauty, biodiversity and enormous ecological value. At about 11:30 AM, you will arrive at your destination, the railway station of Kalambaka. Once having arrived, you will meet with your guide who will be holding a signboard with your name on it. From here your tour to the Meteora Monasteries is going to begin. You can admire the amazing christian architecture, and discover how monasteries have been influenced over time, having existed for over 700 years. After 4 hours of exploration, your tour will come to an end and you will be driven back to Kalabaka where you will have free time to spend under the shadow of giant rocks. You will arrive back in Athens at 9:25PM after a full-day exploring.
IncludesRound-trip ticket from Athens-Kalambaka English-speaking tour leader Bottle of water Wifi on board Photo stop at the significant points of Meteora Taxes and services Pick-up and drop off service in Kalabaka Luxury mini-bus transportation Pickup or drop-off Monasteries entrance fees at 3€ per person Dormition of the Mother of God church entrance fee at 2€ per person Guided tour inside the monasteries Option for another tour language (to be arranged at an extra cost) Gratuities (optional)
- Due to the monasteries' strict dress code, men must wear trousers and a t-shirt or shirt with sleeves and women must wear a long skirt
- At the monasteries, there are usually trousers and skirts provided
- The tour is done in a small group of maximum of 13 people
- Babies up to 3 years old are free to join if they can share the seat with their parent
- This tour is semi-independent, which means your guide will provide you with all necessary information about monasteries on the bus, but will not escort you into them
- Please wear comfortable shoes for walking on uneven surfaces. For some monasteries, walking up stairs is necessary.
- Bring a snack as the tour is around 13 hours long
- Credit cards are not accepted for paying the monastery's entrance fees
- Animals are not allowed to enter the monasteries
- You will receive the train tickets by email. Please be at the train station in Athens 30-minutes before the train departure time (7:00 AM is the ideal time to be at train station)
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCheck Availability